Friday, January 13, 2012

Overcoming the Frustration and Getting Creative

The solution to picky eating seems simple enough.  Set specific expectations, and follow through with consistency.  At least it seemed simple to me until I had a picky eater sitting at my table. 

In my experience, it has been more than the child not wanting to try something.  With picky eaters, the experience of the food before them is more than they can bear.  Bold colors, strange smells and odd textures all complicate the situation.  There's also a physical aspect to it, as a zinc deficiency can alter the smell and taste of foods.  In addition, prior power struggles color the perspective of the child in the moment.  A child can feel powerless in the daily decisions being made, especially meal time, with food consumption being the one thing they can control. 

Before becoming aware of all this, I had a hard time overcoming my own frustrations concerning my son's picky eating.  The most common thought that would come to mind was, "not again".  I also struggled with pushing down the doubt that my son might never overcome his food aversions.  The fear that fueled these thoughts only exasperated the situation as my son sensed it like a blood hound.  Every time I would reach my limit he would buckle down even harder. 

It wasn't until I came to terms with my own fears and hopelessness with the situation that I was able to get creative.  I believe that creativity has been the harbinger to the successes that have followed.  Creativity is rooted in love, and is hard not to get on board with when done authentically. 

Over the next few posts I will share the creative ideas that have helped to encourage and empower my son to eat better.  They've worked well for me, and hopefully will spark some ideas for others too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment