Saturday, March 24, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

I got the idea to make my own granola from Pinterest. You can check out my food board to see the original recipes.

I had to try a couple different variations to find a version my son liked.  He turned his nose up at the ones with pumpkin seeds and dried fruit.  Still, I didn't give up.  The winning ingredient was semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Once I agreed to add those he was game to try a batch.  Which I'm totally fine with given the other ingredients I was able to add to it.

Here's the recipe that keeps him begging for more...

1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of raw honey
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1 cup of rolled oats
1 measuring cup full of the following:  sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, & ground flax (not pictured)
1/4 cup (or so) of semi-sweet chocolate chips

The ingredients

1. Line a shallow pan with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick oil.
2. Warm the peanut butter, honey, and coconut in a saucepan over the stove.  Stir mixture until it blends together nicely.
3. Remove from heat and add in the rolled oats and then the nut/seed mixture.
4.  Allow to cool a bit, then add the chocolate chips
5. Pour the mixture into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
6. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
7. Cut as you wish and serve! 


The final product

Of course, this recipe can totally be adapted to your family's needs.  Have fun figuring out what works best!  Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment